Indie Interview with Nastasha Rosado

11:19 PM

My interview with Nastash Rosado marks the second post for the series, Indie Interviewa monthly Q&A interview session with an indie artist from near or far. The goal of this series is to create an opportunity to connect with other indie artists, share stories of start up, and provide exposure for the artists.

This month we feature Natasha Rosado of Nerd Girl Embroidery. I have been following Natasha on Instagram for a couple of months and I have enjoyed the color and depth of her embroidery. She's just getting started in the Etsy world. Let's give her a warm welcome and get to know more about her artistic process!  

1. How long have you been doing embroidery and what lead you to this art?

Technically only about four months or so. I would say I started around November of 2010 when my best friend’s mother had bought one of those make-your-own-Christmas-stocking kit. It was a complete failure. I did not have a clue what I was doing. A couple months later I decided I wanted to make a baby blanket for my newly announced nephew. After that I really grew to love embroidery. 


2. The pieces on your Instagram portfolio are incredibly unique and eye catching, particularly because you are not afraid to combine colorful floss with patterned fabric. What gives you inspiration for your pieces? Do you have a favorite theme base stitched designs on?


I'm not afraid of color. I love to play with different colour palettes on patterned fabric. Would it be weird to say that the fabric kinda "speaks" to me?


3. Do you make your own heat press patterns or do you free hand your designs? 


Sadly no. I have to thank Sublime Stitching for her amazing stencils because without her, I don't think I would have done all of this embroidery.


4. Do you have a studio or a particular room in your home where you prefer to stitch? If so, please describe the space. Are you a mobile stitcher that carriers a project around at all times? 


I am currently in the middle of moving so I'm just using a really small table, a storage tub and the bed in my room. That's about it. I bring my embroidery almost everywhere with me. Depending on my day, I either carry around a backpack full of my stuff or just a KidRobot paper bag.


5. Regarding stitching text and words....love it or do it out of necessity of the design? 


I think I've grown too really like lettering. I feel it usually brings the piece together.


6. What are your goals for your Etsy shop and your embroidery work? 

I just recently opened my Etsy store, Nerd Girl Embroidery, about five days ago. I would like to sell cute pieces that people would proudly display in their homes.

7. Is there anything else that you would like to mention about your awesome embroidery art?

Embroidery has consumed my every being and I hope for it become something bigger in my future. If you haven’t tried it I highly recommend doing so. It’s fun, it’s easy, and it’s simple. There’s nothing better, right?

Description: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images